Friday, January 28, 2011

Review: The Forest Of Hands And Teeth By Carrie Ryan



Summary From GoodReads
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

My Take
Well, at first I didn't really like this book, or I didn't understand it I'm not sure. But the last fifty pages or so I really got into it. This is a story about a girl named Mary living in a world surrounded by gates to keep out the dead who crave their skin. Mary is taught from a Young age to defend herself against the "unconsecrated" or the dead. Mary's world is not surrounded by love it is surrounded by commitment. But everything Mary has learned about the world around her and the unconsecrated are fighting her. She learns things about her world she never knew existed. She starts to wonder what lies beyond her village and the Forest Of Hands And Teeth. And this makes her different. At one point in the story she must choose between her village or her dreams. Love or what she knows. This story reminds me of a cross between Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer because at times this story is about survival and love. And then it remindes me of The Maze Runner by James Dashner because of the fact they are traped in a village surrounded by Forest. Overall this is not the best book I have read. I have started reading the sequel and so far it is alot better!

Rating
* * *
3 out of 5 stars

5 comments:

  1. My pet peeve with this book was calling the zombies unconsecrated. It took me a while to figure out what the unconsecrated were and the constant references irritated me.

    I liked the sequel more than this one although there still weak heroine issues.

    You should try Feed by Mira Grant. It's a great dystopian zombie novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah uncosecrated was irritating. something about this book just wasnt buying me. But im finding the sequel much better

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked it because it was a heartbreaking story about daring to dream! I haven't had a chance to read the second one, but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having the same problem with this book I started it awhile back and I have yet to reach page 100. it's not keeping my attention, and I feel bad because I want to like it. I do like that you siad it got better at the very end and that book two is better. I'll have to give it another go. Plus, I was like who are the unconscrated or whatever it took me awhile to figure it out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly. it just wasnt keeping my attention I only got into it around the last..fifty pages or so. Im glad someone else feels the same.

    ReplyDelete

 
Barbara
using elements designed by IBD