Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review: Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson

Summary

In this compelling sequel to Chains, a National Book Award Finalist and winner of the Scott O’Dell Award for Historical Fiction, acclaimed author Laurie Halse Anderson shifts perspective from Isabel to Curzon and brings to the page the tale of what it takes for runaway slaves to forge their own paths in a world of obstacles—and in the midst of the American Revolution.
The Patriot Army was shaped and strengthened by the desperate circumstances of the Valley Forge winter. This is where Curzon the boy becomes Curzon the young man. In addition to the hardships of soldiering, he lives with the fear of discovery, for he is an escaped slave passing for free. And then there is Isabel, who is also at Valley Forge—against her will. She and Curzon have to sort out the tangled threads of their friendship while figuring out what stands between the two of them and true freedom.

My Take
                                                        Okay well, to start off this book is the sequel to a book called Chains. This is book number two. I really liked this book. It tells the story of an African boy named Curzon. Curzon is enlisted into the American Army to fight at Valley Forge. the story tells how their was little comfort at Valley Forge. Their was no food, warmth, clothes or great leadership. The soldiers were dying off slowly from the the lack of food and the frigid cold. The story tells how the soldiers had to march through ice and snow and mud with no shoes on, because their wasn't any. I cant even imagine that. Eventually Curzon is sent back into slavery. Him and an old friend make plans to run away and escape their master. when they finally plan to escape a horrific event happens that may or may not stop them. This was a fast paced story. The end of the book makes me want to read the third book Ashes right away. I found this book very easy to relate to. The author did a wonderful job describing events and keeping true to the facts.

My Rating
* * * * *
5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Heather! Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for joining the Amish Challenge and for following my blog :-) I am now a follower of your blog as well and look forward to your wonderful reviews!

    ~M~ (Book Reviews by Molly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Speak by her but I loved it. I have Chains but have yet to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent read speak but I heard it was good. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Barbara
using elements designed by IBD